Applying for the VRRAP
To apply for assistance submit a completed VRRAP Application to the Davis County Environmental Health Services Division.
Income Qualifications for Financial Assistance
Financial assistance can be awarded to individuals with household incomes that are less than 300% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG). See Table 1.
|Table 1: 2022 Federal Poverty Guidelines|
|Each additional dependent||+$9,440||+$11,800||+$14,160|
*Each household member counts as a dependent. For example, a household with a husband, wife, and child has 3 (three) dependents.
Eligibility for financial assistance is typically based on the Adjusted Gross Income reported on the most recent Federal Income Tax form. However, eligibility may also be determined through other means such as a W-2, paystubs, disability statements, alimony,
and child support court orders.
Financial Assistance Available Toward Repairs
Financial assistance for repairs may cover the entire repair for those who qualify, but maximum assistance towards emission-related repairs is capped at $1,000. This means that if a repair costs $1,500 an individual who qualifies for 100% assistance will
still be responsible to pay the remaining $500. Also, please be aware that if the repair costs less than the amount qualified for, the remaining balance on the voucher is not refunded to the individual. See Table 2 for more information.
|Table 2: Repair Sliding Scale Assistance Guide |
|Household Income (FPG) ||Repair Assistance ||Maximum Amount |
|200% and below ||100% ||$1,000 |
|201% - 250% ||75% ||$750 |
|251% - 300% ||50% ||$500 |
Vehicle Repair Qualifications
In order to qualify for financial
assistance toward an emissions-related repair of the vehicle, the vehicle must:
- Have failed an emissions test
- Show no evidence of tempering with the emission control systems
- Be registered in Davis County or be regularly operated in Davis County
- Have been registered in Utah for at least 12 months preceding the application
- Be registered under the vehicle owner's name
The financial assistance offered for repairs through the Targeted Airshed Grant is only available for cars 2004 and newer. However, the additional funds available through UCAIR allow the Department to approve the emission-related repairs of some
Approved Repair Stations
Only repairs made by stations that have been approved by the Davis County Health Department are eligible for
financial assistance for any emissions-related repairs. In order to be approved by the department,
a station must first be permitted as an I/M certified repair station in Davis County.
For a list of certified VRRAP repair stations in Davis County, click here.
Financial Assistance Available Toward Replacement
The financial assistance available to those who qualify to replace their car is based on household income and the type of car purchased. The cleaner the emissions of the vehicle being purchased, as designated by the vehicle’s Tier and Bin number,
the greater the funding available to the applicant. See Table 3 for more information.
|Table 3: Replacement Sliding Scale Assistance Guide |
|Household Income (FPG) ||Tier 2 Bin 5 – Tier 2 Bin 3 Equivalent ||Tier 2 Bin 2 Equivalent ||Zero Emissions Vehicle |
|200% and below ||$5,500 ||$6,875||$7,560|
|201% - 250% ||$4,815||$6,190||$6,875|
|251% - 300% ||$4,125||$5,500 ||$6,190|
Vehicle Replacement Qualifications
In order to qualify for financial assistance toward the replacement of the vehicle, the vehicle must:
- Be a model year 2003 or older vehicle
- Have failed an emissions test within 30 days of application
- Be registered in or regularly operated in Davis County
- Be driven under its own power to a participating VRRAP dealership
- For a list of participating VRRAP dealerships, click here.
The vehicle being purchased with financial assistance must:
- Be a Federal Tier 2 Bin 5 or cleaner vehicle of the current model year or the previous four (6) model years (For example, during model year 2022, the vehicle purchased must be a model year 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, or 2016.)
- Have an odometer reading of less than 110,000 miles
- Cost no more than $48,125 before tax, title, and licensing
- Be purchased through a participating VRRAP dealership
Financial Assistance Vouchers
The financial assistance is provided in voucher form. In order to obtain a voucher you must first
submit the following to the Davis County Health Department:
- A completed VRRAP Application
- Applicable documentation of a failed emissions test
- Your most recent Federal Income Tax forms
The department will
review the application and associated documents and issue an assistance voucher for your use at
either a participating repair station or participating dealership.