Solid Waste and Scavenger/Salvage Operations

How can I get rid of my solid waste?

Before taking waste to the landfill, first determine whether it can be reduced, recycled or reused .If items cannot be reused or recycled, waste may be discarded in the waste stream (i.e. garbage cans and dumpsters).  When preparing to make a trip to the landfill, make sure that all waste is securely attached to your vehicle and adequately contained.    

What types of items/waste does the landfill accept?

Wasatch Integrated and Bountiful landfill will accept a wide variety of waste types, including green waste, commercial waste, animal wastes, and appliances, and mobile homes. Wasatch Integrated offers a household hazardous waste facility. 

Scavenger or Salvage Operations

The Environmental Health Services Division requires a permit for any scavenger activities within Davis County. Common operations that must be permitted include garbage trucks, septic and human waste haulers, household waste collectors, and automotive waste transporters. Scavenger Permit Application.

Disposal Facilities

Davis County has two approved solid waste disposal facilities.
  • The Bountiful City Landfill is located at 1300 West 1600 North (Pages Lane), Bountiful.
  • The remainder of Davis County is serviced by Wasatch Integrated Waste Management District which operates an energy recovery facility and a landfill. Both of these facilities are located in Layton, east of Hill Air Force Base. The landfill now has a household hazardous waste collection site that operates year round and is free to Davis County citizens.

Who needs a scavenger permit?

Any individual or enterprise within the limits of Davis County who collect or salvage any material including, but not limited to, household wastes, refuse, sanitary wastes, metals, chemicals, drums, animal by-products, automotive parts, or any other waste other than from their own business or residence.

How much do they cost?

Cost per vehicle for 1 full year (January-December)                                                                $75.00

What are the requirements for the general public?

The following are exempt from obtaining a permit:

  • Removal of materials and wastes from a private residence by volunteer citizens in times of disaster or under physical, financial or economic conditions to aid the resident in maintaining a safe, healthful environment.
  • Removal of lawn clippings from lawn maintenance activities.

What can scavengers haul?

Collection vehicles may haul sewage, septic tank contents, blood, bones, offal, used animal fat, dead animals, animal and vegetable matter resulting from the handling or preparation of food, any solid or liquid matter normally generated by a family in a residence in the course of day-to-day living, lawn clippings, metals, surplus items, chemicals, and drums.

  • This does not constitute an all-inclusive list or summary of all acceptable Collection Vehicle waste items.

What are the vehicle requirements?

Collection vehicles must be clean, easily cleanable, and in good repair.

  • The Collection Vehicle body must be metal-lined with steel and welded at all seams or constructed of other materials approved by the Health Department.
  • Vehicles must be easily loaded and emptied.
  • The tailgate or hopper of the vehicle must be constructed so that the contents will not blow away or spill during transport.
  • The name and phone number of the Scavenger Operation owning the Collection Vehicle and the size capacity for the truck body must be permanently affixed on the vehicle in letters and numbers that are legible and at least two inches high.

Do they need to cover their loads?

A Scavenger Operation shall not haul, convey or transport waste in any open vehicle or truck for a distance of one-quarter mile or more without making a collection stop, unless completely covered or secured to prevent discharge or littering.  A heavy duty canvas or other acceptable heavy duty cover that is adequate in size to cover the open body of the vehicle must accompany the vehicle if required.

What are the permit requirements and limitations?

Permits must be displayed visibly on the Collection Vehicle at all times.  Permits are non-transferable.  Such Collection Vehicle permits are two stickers that shall be placed on the vehicle as having been permitted for the current year.  Scavenger Operations must not create a nuisance or hazard to health.  All unsalvageable wastes must be transported to and disposed of in sites approved by the Department.

Putrescible materials must be stored in containers with tight-fitting lids so as to make the containers fly and vermin proof.  Containers must be constructed of painted metal, durable plastic, or rubber.

If discharge occurs during collection or transportation, the material shall be picked up immediately and returned to the vehicle and the area must be properly cleaned of any Waste residue.  Scavenger Operations may not collect any Waste materials that are unauthorized or that are smoldering, smoking, or burning.


Contact Information

Physical Address
22 South State Street
2nd Floor
Clearfield, Utah 84015

Mailing Address
Davis County Health Department
Environmental Health Services Division
P.O. Box 618
Farmington, Utah 84025

Phone Numbers
(801) 525-5100 :: Main
(801) 525-5119 :: Fax

Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (except legal holidays)

Healthy Choices | Healthy People | Healthy Communities

Copyright © 2015 Davis County Government